Lichfield Cathedral, Staffordshire

There’s so much pressure when a new year rolls around for you to come up with some new year’s resolutions. I don’t tend to set any resolutions, simply because I’m not very good at sticking with them. January is a busy time of year for the gyms and you’ll always see people trying to sell those detoxing teas (that basically make you shit yourself). Some people are doing veganuary, others are doing dry January. It can be really easy to get caught up in the hype. I have had a think about it and there are a few goals that I have in mind for 2019 and they’re not completely ridiculous.

Read 50 books. I set myself a reading challenge on Goodreads every year. I set myself a goal of 50 books in 2016 and I managed to reach it but in 2017 and 2018 I was way off. I just didn’t have time to read a lot as I was doing my Masters degree. This year, I have set myself the goal of 50 books again and I have already started and finished one book today. It’s looking like I might be able to get to 50 this year!

Get a job. At the moment, my blog is my sole income. I’m doing alright and have been able to live off what I earn for the past year. However, once I have submitted my dissertation at the beginning of February, it is time to get a job. I’m really looking forward to being back in the whole routine of working 9 – 5 Monday to Friday. I will still be blogging in my spare time as well, which leads me onto the next goal..

Continue to grow my blog. When I started this blog 8 years ago (it was my blog’s birthday on Saturday!) I thought I would get bored of it after a month or so. But here we are in 2019 and it’s still going. I’ve managed to turn it into a business and it has grown so much in the last year. I have built up a great relationship with brands and PRs, I have been on some amazing press trips and I have had a lot of great opportunities. In 2019, I want to continue building my blog up and I want to be even more successful.

Learn to cook something new each month. I consider myself to be a good cook. I like the things that I make and whenever I have cooked for other people they have liked them too. However, I seem to always cook the same few dishes over and over again. So, this year I would like to go out of my way and learn how to cook at least one new dish each month.

Visit new countries. In 2018 I visited seven countries, five of which were new to me. This year I want to visit at least another five new countries. I already have plans to visit Ireland, Northern Ireland, Estonia and Finland so I think that this is going to be achievable. I’m also hoping to do a big trip in September which will incorporate a few of the Balkans.

Get healthier/fitter. Okay, I’m not going to join a gym but I do want to start looking after my body more. That means getting in my 10,000 steps more than once a week and maybe doing some sort of yoga video on Youtube when I can. I also want to ensure I am drinking enough water. I have a Brita water bottle which I carry with me everywhere. It holds 600ml and I try to drink at least three bottles worth of water each day. This doesn’t always happen, so I’m going to try harder this year.

Have you made any resolutions for this year? What are your 2019 goals?

Share:

13 Comments

1. January 1, 2019 / 11:49 pm

I can really relate to the goals you set for yourself this year. Especially when it comes to physical health.

2. January 2, 2019 / 4:01 pm

First of all, congratulations on having your blog be your sole income! That’s pretty rad! I hope you find yourself a job you love as much as you love blogging. That always helps when you have to work 9-5 Monday-Friday. Secondly, I adore that you want to learn to cook something new each month! 12 new meals to cook sounds brilliant (and yummy!).

I read 54 books in 2014 for my Goodreads challenge (best year ever for me reading wise!) so I wish you all the best in achieving your reading goals! Keep us updated when you can! X

3. January 2, 2019 / 8:12 pm

Wow 8 years is good going. Even better if it’s your sole source of income. The cooking idea sounds good. It’s alway nice to try something new .

4. January 2, 2019 / 10:14 pm

A brilliant list of hopes for the New Year! I have a lot of the same things on my list too like reading more, travelling to more new countries and getting fitter too! 😀 Here’s hoping we both achieve what we want!

5. January 3, 2019 / 9:24 am

Sounds like you have some amazing plans, we visited Finland in 2017 and fell in love with the country.

6. January 3, 2019 / 10:20 am

I love the idea of learning to cook something new each month, this is such a good resolution. And 50 books would be such an incredible achievement, I thought I was brave going with 20! x

7. January 3, 2019 / 3:25 pm

I love the idea of learning to cook something new each month! what a great idea! I might try and do the same!

8. January 3, 2019 / 4:11 pm

Those are some very good and attainable goals you’ve set. I’d like to read more too, and 10k steps isn’t as hard as you think it might be once you start doing it. I have a Fitbit Charge 2 that buzzes and reminds me to get up every hour if I’ve not done at least 250 steps, and I find that helps. I end up dancing around the kitchen to music for a couple thousand. 🙂

9. January 4, 2019 / 9:07 am

Good luck with your goals in 2019 and hope you fulfil them all.

10. January 4, 2019 / 4:05 pm

Good luck on reading 50 books this year, I know how much discipline that can take! I really want to focus this year on building my blog with more consistent content and social media integration, so I can hopefully make it a revenue stream in the near future!

11. January 4, 2019 / 6:14 pm

I love this list – it doesn’t put too much pressure on you and at the same time ensures you are living your best life! I can’t believe you have had your little baby for 8 years now! This is my fourth year and I feel like i couldn’t ever let it go and this point!

12. January 5, 2019 / 12:34 pm

I love making goals and you have a great list there! It’s a list that aspires zero pressure on your part, which is a goal I set for myself this year. Not to take on too much and don’t be too hard on myself if I don’t complete them.